What is detox?
Detox diets, juice cleanses and healthy smoothies are all the rage these days, but detoxification isn’t a new thing. Detoxification has been around for centuries in many cultures, including Ayurveda and Chinese medicine. The human body is designed to tackle toxins. However, there are many simple things you can do to support our body to detox naturally.
Benefits of detoxification
Detoxification is all about resting, cleansing and nourishing the body from inside out. By cutting down on the number of toxins we expose our body to, while supporting the body’s natural detoxification process, we can truly revitalize our body.
A good detox will:
- Stimulate the detox organs such as the liver, bladder and intestines
- Restore digestive health
- Promote elimination
- Improve blood circulation
- Supply the body with essential nutrients
Do you need to detox?
There are a few signs that can indicate you that your body could benefit from a natural detox. Some symptoms indication that you might benefit from a cleanse are:
- Digestive problems
- Skin problems
- Dark circles around the eyes
- Mental fogginess
Be sure to always check any symptoms with your doctor before following a cleanse.
Top 10 ways to detox naturally
- Lighten toxic load: The idea here is to limit as much as possible to expose your body to new toxins. So quit smoking, cut back on alcohol and coffee, reduce your sugar and processed food intake, eat organic, etc.
- Fuel on detox foods: Some food have nutrients that have a direct impact on supporting your detox organs. Lemons, asparagus, beets, dark leafy greens, grapefruits and artichoke are just a few of them. You can check the top 10 detox foods for more info.
- Increase fiber: Fiber-rich food promotes toxins elimination through healthy bowel movements. Regularity is one of the key elements of natural detoxification. So choose whole grains over refined ones, and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Liver protecting herbs: Some herbs naturally stimulates detox organs. As example, dandelion supports detoxification through liver stimulation, and goldenseal through bladder support.
- Drink water: Water is essential to your health, and help your body to detox naturally by carrying the toxins out of the body. Try to drink at least 2 quarts of water per day.
- Sweat it out: Sweating expels toxins through skin pores. Anything that makes you sweat will help your body to detox naturally. Try incorporation regular exercise in your daily routine, and consider a trip or two to the sauna.
- Dry brushing: To detox efficiently, you must make sure your skin pores are clear to let the sweat out. Dry brushing your skin insures that while increasing blood circulation.
- Exercise: Not only exercise support the natural detoxification process by promoting sweat, it also help your body to cleanse through breath.
- Breathe deeply: Deep breathing allow oxygen to circulate within your body. It also help alleviate stress, which can have a serious impact on your health.