A healthy digestion is a sign of a healthy body. Unfortunately, digestive stress is so common today that most of us consider it as normal. But your digestion is at the heart of your detox system and plays a vital role in your health and energy levels. In fact, your digestive system has its own hormonal system (yes, your gut secretes hormones!) and your diet and lifestyle is the most important factor in keeping this fragile balance.
What happens when your gut hormones are out of whack?
Our gut produces various hormones essential to a proper digestion and digestive system health. When those hormones are unbalanced, it’s your whole detox system that can suffer. Gut hormones, such as leptin, ghrelin, cholecystokinin as well as other peptides, tells you when you’re hungry and when you’re not, when to store fat and controls other various bodily functions. When these are not working properly, several signs can appear, such as constant hunger, weight gain, skin problems and digestive conditions. Here are a few signs that suggest a troubled digestion.
Do you suffer from digestive stress?
- Do you have frequent bloating, gas, belching and flatulence?
- Do you have heartburns more than once a week?
- Are you rarely hungry in the morning?
- Do you have skin problems?
- Are you constipated frequently?
- Do you have frequent diarrhea?
- Do you have weak and peeling fingernails?
- Do you suffer from bad breath frequently?
- Do you have abdominal pain after eating?
- Do you feel full after eating a regular-sized meal?
If you have any of these symptoms, your digestive tract might not be at it best. There’re many things you can do to help your digestion back on track. If you want to help your body to detox naturally, it’s important to keep your digestion healthy. Here’s a few things you can do.
12 tips to avoid digestive stress
- Take your time to eat and chew well
- Avoid sugars
- Drink plenty of pure water
- Eat fiber-rich foods
- Incorporate more raw food in your diet
- Exercise daily
- Breathe deeply and avoid stress as much as possible
- Don’t use unnecessary medicine
- Research hidden food allergies
- Eat varied, with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables
- Look for vitamin deficiencies
- Avoid using strong laxatives and repeated use of harsh detox cleanses
Do you care about your digestive system? What do you do to keep your digestive system healthy? What do you thing is the most important when it comes to digestive health?