Quinoa is a wonderful healthy grain. Like other whole grains, quinoa is rich in fiber and lower on the glycemic index. This supplies your body with a steady stream of energy instead of short-term peak. Quinoa also promotes an alkaline body and is one of the few plant-based foods that contain complete protein. Compounds found in quinoa can even help several health conditions including migraines, cardiovascular problems, premature ageing, childhood asthma, gallstones and even breast cancer.
The following recipe is not only very healthy and delicious; it’s also a great meal suitable for a liver cleansing diet and an alkaline diet. This fiber-rich dish is also a good way to detox naturally with whole foods.
Italian Style Quinoa Cakes
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp of ground flaxseed with 3 tbsp of hot water)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 green onions sliced thinly
- 2 Tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup Daiya mozzarella Cheese-Style Shreds
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper and 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp olive oil, for cooking
Place all ingredients in a large bowl and stir well to combine. Form compact cakes with about 1/2 cup of the mix per cake. Heat a frying pan over medium heat with 1 tsp olive oil. Place quinoa cakes in the pan and cook about 4-5 minutes per side, until golden brown. Serve over a bed of salad.