Acidosis, a condition that appears when our body pH is too acidic, can lead to a lot of health problems. Acidic imbalance reduces our body’s ability to absorb minerals and nutrients. It reduces the cell’s capacity to repair itself. It also prevents the body from detoxifying naturally.
How to balance your body’s pH
- Drink plenty of water. The amount of water you need daily depends especially of your weight. To balance your body’s normal pH, you will need to drink a bit more than usual, about 7oz per 10lbs of your body weight. As example, if you weight 130lbs, you should drink about 91 of water, or around 3 liters. Pure water can do the trick but to speed up the process, you can also drink alkaline water. Some specialized (and costly) equipment can give you alkaline water. But if you don’t have one at home, drinking water with a bit of baking soda in it will do the trick. Dissolve ½ teaspoon in 6oz of water and drink every morning until your body’s pH has returned to normal.
- Avoid coffee and sodas. Those drinks are highly acidic and can reverse all your alkalinizing efforts by raising your body’s pH. If you can’t ditch coffee completely, at least reduce your intake to one cup a day, and better try to buy low acidity coffee. This can be found in the natural aisle of your grocery store or in health stores.
- Eat your greens. Green leafy vegetables like kale, collard greens, turnip tops, mustard greens and spinach are very alkalinizing for the body. Try to eat it raw by making a big salad mixed with other alkalinizing food like cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes, celery, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots or onions. A good trick is to prepare a huge bowl in advance, keep it in the fridge and eat a big bowl every day.
- Ditch dairy products. Cow’s milk has shown to produce an abundance of mucus in the human body. Many people also suffer from a hidden allergy or intolerance, which can increase the acid wastes in the body. Choosing almond, rice or organic soy “milk” and “milk” products will help you detox naturally and alkalinize your body.
- Avoid sugars. Artificial sweeteners are the worst, followed by refined sugar. Sugar is acidic and decreases the body’s pH. Natural sweeteners like honey, agave nectar or dried fruits are generally safe, but if you try to alkalinize your body, it would be a good thing to reduce your natural sugar intake as well for a while.
- Go vegetarian. Meat, especially red one along with pork and lamb can be very acidic and produces a lot of metabolic waste. If you must have meat, at least choose wild fish or organic chicken and turkey and reduce your overall meat intake.
- Eat grapefruit. Grapefruit, like lemons, are great to alkalinize the body. Grapefruit are very high in water, and contains a powerful substance to help you detox naturally. Try to eat one every day during the body’s pH balancing process. Eat it like an orange and without sugar though, as it’s in the very thin skin between each grapefruit segment that contains the detox substance.
- Avoid processed and refined food. This includes anything made with white flour, like pastas, bread, cake, muffins, croutons, etc… Also avoid prepared food that contains food colorings, preservatives, added flavors and other additives. Choose foods with the shortest ingredient list, and with ingredients that you can recognize.
- Reduce stress. Implement a daily practice of a stress reducing activity like yoga, tai chi, meditation or even simple deep breathing. Stress plays a huge role in the body’s pH. Stress also speed up ageing, so it’s a good thing to learn to let go.
- Get yourself moving. Being active is essential to good health. Exercises improve blood circulation and help to detox naturally. The sweat produced during exercise also contributes to flush out toxins including acidic waste. Try to exercise daily, at least 30 minutes a day.
If you implement one step each day, there’s a tremendous possibility that you will be amazed with the results on how you feel. Remember though that the name of the game is progress, not perfection. Be kind to yourself and take it slowly. And as you learn more about alkalinizing the body, but sure to understand that it’s all about balance. You don’t want to end up with the other side of the problem and end up with a body that is too alkaline. Of course this is highly unlikely if you follow natural methods, but it could happen to someone drinking huge amounts of very alkaline water over a prolonged period. So the key here again is balance