Stress is now part of our everyday life. Unfortunately, when stress becomes chronic, the body produces a hormone called cortisol. High levels of cortisol cause damage to our immune system. It also makes our brain shrink and leads us to gain fat around our mid section. Chronic stress also drains our adrenal, leading to a slow and steady exhaustion. The worst thing is that chronic stress can be insidious; here are a few hidden signs of chronic stress.
Hidden signs of stress
- Weekend headaches: A sudden drop in stress can trigger headaches.
- PMS: Stress can have an impact on hormone levels, which in return can worsen PMS syndromes.
- Troubled sleep: Stress not only gives us troubles getting to sleep, but can make us wake-up more often. Stress can also induce odd dreams.
- Acne: As stress can trigger hormone imbalances, hormonal breakouts can happen more severely. Stress also increases inflammation, which can induce acne.
- Itching skin: The stress response can activate nerve fibers, which worsen conditions like dermatitis, eczema and psoriasis.
- Cravings: Stress can be to blame for hankering chocolate. And since chronic stress can drain the adrenals, which control sodium levels in your body, you might also experience salt cravings.